Monday, August 25, 2008

How You Know When Someone is Doing Well

With the news of the arrest of four men purportedly set to assasinate Barack Obama, I was obviously taken back for a moment or so. However, given the things I've seen over the past few days or heard in the past few months, it just reaffirmed something my father has told me since I was young. When you're doing well and when people know you are successful, people fear you and want to take you down.

On my flight from Pittsburgh to Chicago en route to Denver, I sat by a man whose son worked for the City of Denver police. He informed me that there was a huge amount of security and that they had really been prepping. He also mentioned a group of psychotic people called "Recreate '68."

While at the convention, the Moral Majority has continued to preach their same one-line message--the Democrats are baby killers. And, of course, my fellow young democrats and I were going inside to perform several partial birth abortions (note the sarcasm). This is just a repeat of the Republican's famous line that have SCARED people into voting for them for the past 8 years--baby killing and taking their guns away. Unfortunately for the Republicans, the Supreme Court determined that there was an individual 2nd amendment right to bear arms earlier this summer. So, I guess the alleged baby killer argument is the only thing in their arsenal.

However much I may joke about this one-liner, it is still disturbing. I do not believe in partial-birth abortions or abortion on demand. However, I do believe in taking care of those that are already living and those who work hard to make a living. Those are things that the Republican party does not stand for and actually stand against. But, for some individuals, believing that they can control the decisions other individuals make about their bodies makes them feel like better Christians or better people. I am a Christian, but I believe that Christians lead through example and through leadership. As the old hymn goes "They Will Know We are Christians By Our Love."

I really hope that Americans are smart enough to wake up can vote to tell the Republican party that their scare tactics will no longer work. Their mind control will no longer work. We can CHANGE this country and truly be proud to be Americans. As Robert Kennedy, Jr., stated in his speech at the Red Rocks Sunday evening, we need to become the country that we once were--one that was truly viewed as the leader of the free world and embraced by foreign nations. Barack Obama has already taken powerful steps to reach this goal by meeting with the leaders of foreign nations, and he has been embraced. I believe that those that are trying to restrain the American people fear this true leadership that America has not seen in a long time. I just pray that Americans wake up and remove these restraints and push forward with Obama/Biden for a better America.

But, I think the unfortunate negative attention regarding assasinations and protests only indicate one thing--the Republican party fears that the Democrats are getting the truth through to the American people and that they will harm their regime.

2 comments:

Bob Lowe said...

It's nice to think that Youth & Government Seminar had a little to do with your recent activities!

Unknown said...

The gun case was a 5-4 decision. Electing Obama opens it up for reversal.

"When you're doing well and when people know you are successful, people fear you and want to take you down." Does that mean McCain/Palin are doing well? Given the rude liberal protestors inside our convention I would say it's a good indication. That combined with the sexist hate speech against Palin. The best thing Biden can say is that she's "good looking." Seems to me like he should respect her for her talents.